NEW BOSTON, Texas (KTAL) - Greenlee was trying to find some baby kittens behind the family's dryer when she was electrocuted.
"There was enough electricity when I grabbed the dryer that it knocked me back," father Scott Hendrix said. " And, between adrenaline and panic, I grabbed the dryer out of the wall and got my little girl. She was already gone."
Greenlee's body has been sent for autopsy. State inspectors are still combing through the home. New Boston Police Spokesperson Katie Jimenez said, "We're waiting on all the reports to come back from everybody before we decide what type of case this is going to be, whether it's criminal or some other type of case."
Greenlee's parents said they've had electrical issues in their rental before.
"I had been shocked by the washer and shocked by the dryer, but in the back of my mind it was like a static electricity shock," Mother Shelby Roos said.
Roos and Hendrix said they had complained to their landlord, but they claim only unlicensed people were sent to address the problems, so they refused service. They said there were also problems in the bathroom.
"If one of us took a shower in there and you hit your head on the shower knob you would get shocked," Roos said.
Now, these parents want to make sure that little Greenlee, who would've been in the fourth grade this fall, didn't die in vain. "If you are in a rental, or you have a landlord, even if you're in an apartment, and you ever get shocked by something, don't just write it off. Check into it," Roos said.
The property owner told KXAN sister station KTAL Tuesday that he just found out about the situation and doesn't know much about it. He wished to make no further comment.
Authorities said if you think you may have an electrical issue and you need extra help, you can contact your local law enforcement non-emergency number or the electric company.
A GoFundMe account has been set up in honor of Greenlee's passion, which was animal rescue.