JOPLIN, Mo. – About 10:40 a.m. Joplin Dispatch were alerted to reports of a fire at 1719 S Sergeant Ave.

Joplin Fire, Joplin Police and METS ambulance responded emergency. A second alarm sounded immediately. Redings Mill Fire were requested to assist by covering a southern portion of the city of Joplin as crews battled this two-story wood frame structure.

The older home has two residences. An upstairs and downstairs. All persons were out of the structure safely.

Windy conditions, SSW winds 20 mph, blew smoke for blocks making the area hazy. Smoke billowed at times you could not see the structure.

“High wind conditions coupled with the type of building construction allowed for rapid fire spread throughout the structure forcing units to evacuate and switch to a defensive attack.”

JOPLIN FIRE MEDIA RELEASE

The main part of the fire was at the rear of the home according to sources. We set our cameras at the rear for the majority of the time.

Fire was declared under control at 12:41 p.m. The Joplin Fire Marshal investigation, “determined this to be an accidental fire as a result of an electrical malfunction,” according to Joplin Fire.

Two households will be displaced by the fire, which includes two children. Joplin Fire contacted Red Cross to assist those displaced.

SCREENSHOT OF MEDIA RELEASE FROM JOPLIN FIRE.

Neighbors tell us items for immediate needs for the families can be dropped off at Halls Food Mart, W 20th and S Bird. Two children include 2 boys: 1) 3t-4t and 2) 3 mos-4 mos.

This is a Breaking News Story. Stay with Joplin News First. Subscribe to our daily newsletter so you don’t miss an article. Click here then check the box next to our name and click subscribe.