UPDATE: The project was estimated to complete Dec. 15. Completing ahead of schedule and open to traffic Wednesday, Nov. 24, the day before Thanksgiving.
JASPER COUNTY, Mo. — MoDOT continues work on the $10 million dollar project north of Carl Junction, Missouri at the intersection of:
- State Route YY
- Kansas City Southern Railroad
This new hybrid roundabout will slow down speeds and enhance safety.
NOTE THE DETOUR IS: MO-43 to STATE ROUTE H to MO-171, UNLESS LOCAL TRAFFIC
CLOSED FOR UP TO 60 DAYS:
- NOTE THE DETOUR ROAD is State Hwy H which connects at MO-43 and MO-171
- MO-171 at Kafir Road (north side)
- MO-171 at Ivy Road (south side)
- MO-96 at County Road 270 (east side)
- State Route YY at County Road 284 (west side)
- Reduce the speed of vehicles and the angle of the crash, you come alongside someone, not head-on, or t-bone.
- Roundabouts REDUCE collisions of all types by 40%
- Roundabouts REDUCE injury collisions by 75%
- Roundabouts REDUCE fatal and incapacitating crashes by 90%
- Relocate Route 171/96/YY intersection east of the existing intersection away from KCS Railroad to improve safety
- Build multi-lane roundabout at new intersection alignment
- Roundabout will consist of two 16-foot lanes with 10-foot truck apron
- Roundabout entry will consist of one or two lanes varying from 12– to 16-feet with four-foot outside shoulder
- Contract also includes projects to pave approximately 26 miles of Route 171 between Missouri/Kansas state line and I-49 along with a section of Jasper County Route O between Jasper County Route D and Missouri 96
Contractor crews will relocate the intersection at Missouri Route 171/Route 96 and Jasper County Route YY to the east and convert the intersection to a multi-lane roundabout. In addition, an approximately 26-mile stretch of Route 171 between the Missouri/Kansas state line and I-49 will be resurfaced.
The existing intersection is located immediately adjacent to the Kansas City Southern (KCS) railroad tracks which parallel Missouri Route 171. Vehicles, especially large semis and farm equipment, approaching from the west on Jasper County Route YY often must sit across the railroad tracks while waiting for a gap in traffic on Route 171. The project will increase the distance between the railroad tracks and Route 171, improving safety.
Stay with Joplin News First for Breaking News and more important stories on our news tab at FSHP. Subscribe to our daily newsletter so you don’t miss an article. Click here then check the box next to our name and click subscribe.