Two alarm fire on South Pearl; Chainsaws cutting holes wake the neighbors

Joplin News First

"The lone resident in the structure said that a police officer woke her up stating her house was on fire, " Chief Jim Furgerson of the Joplin Fire Department

JOPLIN, Mo. — Joplin Fire Department was alerted to a structure fire at 2122 South Pearl about 5:45 AM. Arrival of the first crew on the scene they observed smoke around the chimney area. Upon entry flames were visible. Second alarm sounded at 5:51 AM.

You’ll hear shattering glass at the beginning of our Joplin News First LIVE! video (and photos below) then you see the firefighters cut holes in the roof and walls. This is a way to get within the walls to where that fire is continuing to burn.

“The lone resident in the structure said that a police officer woke her up stating her house was on fire, ” Chief Jim Furgerson of the Joplin Fire Department states in a media release.

One neighbor told Joplin News First he didn’t hear anything, no sirens, “I must have been sleeping hard.” But lights coming in through the bedroom windows woke the household. Another neighbor said the chainsaws woke up her dog. And Garrett our tipster who told us about the fire initially said his RING doorbell alerted him to activity outside his front door.

“The Joplin Fire Department responded with 6 units and 18 personnel. The Fire Department was assisted by METS Ambulance Service and the Joplin Police Department. There were no injuries to civilians or firefighting personnel.”

Media Release, Joplin Fire Department

According to the Joplin Fire Marshal, the cause of the fire was ruled as accidental.

NOTE: Remember to never run over a fire hose. You could face a fine. A sudden change in pressure could put firefighters in danger or damage expensive equipment.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories