JOPLIN, Mo. — UPDATED/TUESDAY 1:03 PM: Capt Nick Jimenez of the Joplin Police Department confirm the driver of the vehicle from Monday night’s police chase is now charged.
Arrested and charged: Felony Fleeing, Driving While Revoked, DWI, and Possession of a Controlled Substance.
PRIOR STORY/MONDAY NIGHT 11:00 PM: Cpl. Michael Gauss tell us about 10:00 PM one of his patrol officers noticed a possible DWI driver on the west side of town near 20th and Wal-Mart Drive. Officer attempted to pull the driver over and they didn’t yield to emergency lights.
A pursuit was initiated. The general directions are as follows.
- South on S Rangeline, crossing into Newton Co at 32nd
- West on I-44, traveling towards Oklahoma
- North at Exit 4/Loves/Coyote Drive
- North on Coyote Drive, crossing into Jasper Co at 32nd
- 32nd crossing into Jasper Co turns to Schifferdecker
- <end of pursuit> 3000 S Schifferdecker
Speeds topped 90 mph at points. Spikes were deployed along Coyote Drive successfully deflating two front tires.
Cpl. Gauss told us there were items that were tossed from the window however they have now been retrieved.
The single male occupant will undergo field sobriety at the Joplin City jail. More information as it becomes available from the Joplin Police Department.