First cold snap, Avilla Mo. Fire Dept fight flue fire, home destroyed

Joplin News First

Schedule a chimney inspection before you light that fireplace

JASPER FIRE AND RESCUE

JASPER COUNTY, Mo. — Just after 4 a.m. Friday morning Jasper County Emergency Communications were alerted to reports of a house fire on the eastern edge of the county at 8115 County Road 20.

Reported as a flue fire initially, meaning a fire within the chimney. At 4:14 a.m. initial observation upon arrival from firefighters described the structure as “fully involved.”

With cooler weather coming be sure to check your chimney to make sure it is clean and not damaged. This is a house fire on CR 20 that we responded for automatic aid to the Avilla FPD around 4:00am this morning. It started as a flue fire.

Jasper Fire and Rescue

The residence is within the Avilla Fire District. Departments that assisted include: Jasper Fire, Carthage Fire and Sarcoxie Fire.

No one in the residence was injured. All pets were out safely. No firefighters were injured fighting the fire.

Victor Ferguson, General Manager of the Fireplace Shoppe, says, “It’s just kind of the nature of people just to think about once it’s time to light that fire … you can imagine our scheduling gets pretty back up the first cold spell.”

So don’t light a fire without checking with experts first.

Ferguson recommends getting an annual chimney inspection to make sure it’s clear of ashes. He also says homeowners should get a chimney cap installed on all flues.

With cooler weather coming be sure to check your chimney to make sure it is clean and not damaged. This is a house fire…

Posted by Jasper Fire and Rescue on Friday, October 29, 2021

Subscribe to our Joplin News First daily newsletter so you don’t miss an article. Click here then check the box next to our name and click subscribe.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories