CARTHAGE, Mo. — The Fairlawn Ave./Elk/Garrison Ave. roundabout is opening in Carthage. It has been under construction for about a year. As part of a $4.5 million construction plans that brings new sidewalks, curbing, and bringing together of five roads.
According to National Highway Safety Council a traffic signal intersection compared to a roundabout reduces severe crashes by 78%.
- MoDOT PROJECT FACTS:
- Install roundabout at five-way intersection of Fairlawn Ave., Elk St., & Garrison Ave. to improve safety and traffic flow
- Project is a 50/50 cost-share with the City of Carthage
- Part of City of Carthage project to improve Garrison Ave. south of the intersection
- Approximately 9,600 vehicles per day use the intersection – 9% is truck traffic
- Built in combination with a resurfacing/sidewalk project between Fairview Ave. & I-49
Stay with Joplin News First for Breaking News and more on our news tab at FSHP. Subscribe to our daily newsletter so you don’t miss an article. Click here then check the box next to our name and click subscribe.