UPDATE: The road way was opened again about 3:25 PM. It will be one lane for a period of time untill gas and oil can be cleared from the right lane according to MoDot.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol initial crash report is released. It states that two semi-tractor-trailers were inovlved.
A 2005 Freightliner was driven from the scene after being struck from behind. The driver, Poopalasingham Sanmugam, 66, of Bradford, Ontario. was uninjured.
A 2020 Volvo semi driven by, Ihor Hasheniuk, 60, of Chicago, Illinois, suffered moderate injuries and was transported to a Springfield hospital.
ORIGINAL STORY: I-44 EASTBOUND — A two semi crash is closing down I-44 east for at least 3 1/12 hours.
According to MoDOT the detour and details are as follows:
- Expect delays due to VEHICLE CRASHI-44 Eastbound (LAWRENCE County)
- Impact reported at 11:15 AM on 02/17/2020
- Expect delays for next 3.5 hour(s).
- NOTE: ACCIDENT I-44 EB PAST EXIT 49 MO 174 CHESAPEAKE AT
- CRASH IS LOCATED MM 56.8 RIGHT LANE
- CLOSED EST. CLEARANCE TIME: 3:00 PM (-93658838,37177105)
The detour has begun now. All eastbound traffic is exiting at 49 mile marker to Chesapeake.
However with 4 miles of backed up traffic the few vehicles you see going through on the MoDOT traffic camera are those that were stranded to a stop on the highway.
Traveling from Joplin you can avoid this entire area of congestion by taking
- MO-96 Carthage to Halltown. Or
- US-60 Neosho to Monett to Springfield.
For up to the minute information you can download the MoDOT Travelers App.
Complete details on the crash and injuries are unknown at this time. However this will not be cleared until perhaps 2:00 – 3:00.