WELCH, Okla. — Craig County authorities arrested an alleged robbery suspect in Welch early Friday morning.
Ralph James Ochoa, of Phoenix, Ariz., was taken into custody before midnight.
Around 9:15 p.m. a Craig County deputy saw a white 2018 Chevy Cruze near Big Cabin traveling 71 mph in a 45 mph zone, said Craig County Sheriff Heath Winfrey.
When Ochoa failed to stop his car, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers and the deputy initiated a pursuit that entered into the Welch city limits.
The pursuit went north through Vinita on SH-2 at speeds over 100 mph, Winfrey said.
Deputies successfully deployed stop sticks at SH-2 and County Road 130 while the suspect’s car continued northbound. Ochoa lost control of the vehicle after entering Welch city limits, where crashed into a residence. He fled the scene and used a ladder to climb up onto the top of another house’s carport in an attempt to escape law enforcement, he said.
He is being held on the following complaints:
• ELUDING POLICE OFFICER
• POSSESSION OF PARAPHERNALIA
• POSSESSION OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
• RECEIVE, POSSESS, CONCEAL STOLEN VEHICLE
• RECKLESS DRIVING
• LEAVING SCENE OF ACCIDENT INVOLVING DAMAGE
• DUI: DRIVE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ANY SCHEDULE 1 CHEMICAL OR CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE
• HOLD FOR ARIZONA WARRANT IN FILE