Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Local Firefighters Warn Residents of Increased Fire Hazards
REDINGS MILL, MO.--- The windy conditions and dry air we've been experiencing lately can put you and your home at higher risk for fires. Local firefighters have had a busy schedule lately.
"The highest concentration of those fires happens in the cold months. So October to February is going to be our busiest time of the year," said Ronnie Metcalf, Redings Mill Assistant Fire Chief.
Recent high, shifting winds and low humidity have caused an increasing number of grass fires.
"People don't take care of their fires, they tend to leave them, which also causes a problem. People don't understand how quick that the fires can spread with everything being as dry as it is," said Jimmy Burgess, Redings Mill Firefighter.
They say to protect yourself, keep ashes away from flammables, keep yards clear, especially underneath decks, and store propane and gas tanks in a safe place.
"If you can avoid burning at all costs, that's probably your best bet right now, because there will be days when there's better conditions. You can burn a lot more and not have to worry about threatening structures or other people's houses," said Burgess.
Fire officials explain indoor precautions to take as well.
"You want to develop and practice a home escape plan with your family. You want to do that twice a year. You want to check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors once a month and change the batteries when you change your clocks," said Metcalf.
Space heaters are also a growing problem for house fires.
"Space heaters need to be about three feet away from anything flammable," said Metcalf.
Whatever way you choose to stay warm this winter, make sure to follow all fire safety instructions.