CARTHAGE, Mo. - Now that more people are outside grilling, fire personnel want to remind them to be safe cooking indoors and out.
According to Carthage Fire Chief Roger Williams, one of the most important rules when it comes to cooking is being attentive.
Anytime you are cooking, be sure to be around the stove or grill at all times.
If you're grilling outside with propane, make sure all connections are tight and all equipment is safe and ready for use.
And always be prepared to extinguish a fire properly.
"Don't go above your skills, make sure you know what you're doing. You want to look and see how your equipment works, but once you tried, if it fails, be sure you're getting out. Stay out of the house until we get there and of course dial 911, we'll get there as quick as we can," explains Carthage Fire Chief Roger Williams.
Williams wants to remind people that when it comes to grease fires, the last thing you want to do is use water.
He recommends either smothering it with a lid, using sand, or a fire extinguisher.